customer d300 review [6]


The D300 is not the newest kid on the block, but it is a great camera. I've been shooting for a couple of months now and I like (bought used / refurb Fred Miranda).

I'm not really much of a fanboy to make, after the shooting Pentax and Canon too, but overall I'm happy with the D300. We list some pros and cons:
-----

Pro

+ Good Monitoring System. I discovered that I liked better than Canon 40D, but not as good as the Pentax K20D. Most of your most important functions are located on external controls or customized (to a degree) butttons.

+ Good image quality, especially with the glass and a good shooting technique. This is true of many cameras, though. I like the D300 jpeg output, although very nice ...

+ Nice build quality. Anything that feels safe, non-flexing, etc. I have not shot with the camera in very cold weather. I have encountered serious problems or concerns with the camera.

+ Flash commander is beautiful, lots of options for AF are beautiful, slow tuning if you need them, large high resolution screen on the back. The AF is great once you learn the nuances of different ways.

+ Banks, customizable shooting a custom menu.

+ AutoISO is impressive and trounces implimentation Canon.

+ A large viewfinder 100%.

+ House seems damn accurate to measure matrix.
----------------

Now, some disadvantages:

- The rear pad control does not have a separate, raised "Enter" as the D90 does - you have to press / click the pad down everything - sometimes this results in accidentally pressed (left or right) instead of the click . Not a huge problem - I learned to just click-> right through the menus, because it acts as an "enter" press.

- The noise is quite good, but do not expect miracles - you need a good exposure at high ISO sensitivity. If you want to shoot in darker scenes, with great high ISO, get a D700. The D300 is good, but frankly I can not tell a big difference between the acoustic performance and the 40D, especially in the prints. I usually try to keep ISO maxed to 800, unless you know gettling decent light, then I hit about 2000 max.

It 'a good car, but do not expect miracles noise.

- There is no option to press "Fn" and immediately return to the root element in "My Menu", unlike the D90. Minor quibble.

- It's free :-)

There's lots to like on the D300, and very little to dislike. The click the back pad is probably the most annoying, because you run all the time, but only a real problem when not using the right button as the Enter key.

Otherwise, great camera. I hope that lasts for many years.

0 comments:

Post a Comment