Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SLD DG Macro Lens with built in motor for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras




Technical Details
  • 14 Elements in 10 Groups Lens Construction
  • 34.3 to 8.2 degrees angle of view
  • F22 Minimum Aperture
  • 59.1 (150cm) / 37.4 (95cm) Macro Mode Minimum Focusing Distance
  • 1 - 4.1 / 1 - 2 Macro Mode Maximum Magnification

I hesitated buying this lens for my Nikon D40X - probably looked at this property six or seven times before they buy. Honestly I was worried about how it is inexpensive. Now, I'm probably very average amateur photographer in that the majority of my pictures are things of the family: children's sports events, holidays, birthdays, etc.. But this does not mean I'm willing to compromise on quality to save a little money, and I know that the Nikon 55-200 is an objective quality.

But I bought based on the review Michael Del Priore (his was the only critical at the time) - I thought at that price (especially compared with the Nikon 55-200), why not give it a shot, and I 'm glad I did.

This is an excellent goal. The autofocus motor is quick and does not chew the battery (I was concerned about that, but I shot about 170 images on my son's games two Saturdays ago and do not use more energy than Nikon 35-70 lens supplied with the unit). Like "cinderoo" I have not had any problems to speak of stabilization or even behind the shutter, while following 12 years old boys run along a field. Perhaps more than one problem with macro photography, but I guess most of the photograph (albeit limited) macro that I'd probably be using a tripod anyway.

Now nobody take me for a professional photographer, but I can tell you that when I shoot pictures with my D40X and the Sigma on my 24 "iMac and the display in full screen, they are * all * I was looking for when I decided to move to an SLR.

1 comments:

Scorpion said...

Thanks yai for the detailed review. I'm thinking of getting myself a Sigma 70-300mm, and still undecided between this and Nikkor 55-200mm. The Nikkor 55-200mm seems good, but 200mm might be a bit less for wildlife and bird shots.

I might go ahead and pick myself a Sigma 70-300mm.

BTW check out my snaps on my blog:
http://randthot.com/blog/mysore-nagarhole-and-iruppu-falls/
http://randthot.com/blog/macro-photography/

Post a Comment